LearnHebrew School and Jewish Education
Our Hebrew School
Congregation Shaara Tfille’s program strives to provide our students with awareness of their Jewish identity and values through education. Formal classroom study and experiential learning encourages them to develop a lifelong love and commitment to their heritage. We teach Jewish traditions, history, Hebrew, and life cycle events in a warm and individualized environment. Our goal is to give each student the knowledge and skills necessary to become proud, participating members of any Jewish community.
We offer classes for children up to age 13, including Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation. A post-Bar/Bat Mitzvah Program that follows the students through their senior year in high school, includes advanced lessons in Judaism, Jewish History and Contemporary Jewish Culture. Post-Bar/Bat Mitzvah students also perform community service at the synagogue and receive a certificate of participation each year.
The school year is September through May, with breaks in the schedule consistent with local school calendars. The Hebrew School Calendar is part of the Main Calendar.
Classes will be held in the synagogue starting in September, 2021.
Hebrew School Fees
- Hebrew School, ages 7+ – $400/child.
- Non-member families may attend school for an additional fee of $500/family for one year only. They must join the congregation for a second year and beyond.
- Financial consideration is possible for those in need (including for larger families!). Contact the Rabbi or the Office if this may apply to your circumstance.
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation requires additional individual tutoring. Please contact the Rabbi if this applies to you.
- You can apply by downloading our School Intake Form, printing and after completing it mailing it to or dropping it off at our office.
If you have additional questions please contact Rabbi Marmon or the Chair of the Education Committee by using our contact form.
Chanukah Stories Videos
Stories for each night of Chanukah by Rabbi Marmon, President Linda Bertrand and others.
Just for Kids
Monthly, we provide links to stories, songs, activities, and games for children from preschool to middle school.
Back to School
- THE KISSING HAND by Audrey Penn (ages 4-7). Read Aloud
Chester Raccoon is nervous about going to school for the first time; he would rather stay home where things are familiar. But his mother has a secret to share that will help him overcome his fears. What do you think it could be? Listen to the story and find out.
- TOO MUCH GLUE by Jason Lifebvre (ages 5 and up). Read Aloud
Here’s an artistic story about a little boy who just loves his glue! Now what could go wrong with that? Listen to find out how his friends help out.
- MISS NELSON IS MISSING by Harry Allard (ages 7 and up) Animated. Miss Nelson is the nicest teacher in the whole school. She never yells, and she gives the easiest assignments. Then one day Miss Nelson is not at school. There is a substitute, Miss Viola Swamp, who immediately lays down the law – no talking, no goofing off in class – and gives lots of homework. Where is the wonderful, unappreciated Miss Nelson? Is she ever coming back?
- FIRST DAY JITTERS by Julie Danneberg (ages 7 and up) Read Aloud. Have you ever been nervous about going to school on the first day? You’re not alone. It happens to many of us, just like Sarah in this story. Be sure to watch for the surprise twist at the end!
Read and Learn About Yom Kippur
Watch A Video About Yom Kippur
- TAP INTO YOM KIPPUR!: “REBBETZIN TAP & FRIENDS” What’s Yom Kippur all about? Why do we not eat and drink? Learn about Yom Kippur with Rebbetzin Tap!
Yom Kippur Activities
Jewish Folklore Stories
- IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE Retold by Margot Zemach. (ages 7 and up) Read Aloud . When a poor Jewish farmer complains to his Rabbi about how hard it is to live in his one-room hut with his wife, his mother, and his six children, the Rabbi comes up with an unusual solution.
Music and Movement
- I CAN MOVE MY BODY LIKE ANYTHING (ages 5+)
Sing along and move your body with fun dances: shake like a salt shaker, roll like a roller coaster, pop like popcorn, wave like the ocean, flip like a pancake, bounce like a basketball. Can you make up your own verses and movements to add to this song?
- DIP THE APPLE IN THE HONEY SONG (ages 4-6)
Sing a fun song about apples and honey and try dipping apples in honey.
- MAKE APPLE PRINT ROSH HASHANAH CARDS (ages 5-8).
- MAKE APPLE HONEY POPS (ages 10 and up). Looking for a really sweet treat to start your new year? Grab a few friends and make these apple pops together. The best part about these pops? There are so many ways to make them! Have fun customizing your pops and trying out different dip and topping combinations
- ROSH HASHANAH COLORING PAGES (ages 5-7). Color in: Apple Dipped in Honey, The Machzor, The Shofar.
Read and Learn About Rosh Hashanah
Watch A Video About Rosh Hashanah (ages 6 and up)
- TAP INTO ROSH HASHANA!: “REBBETZIN TAP & FRIENDS” Learn about Rosh Hashanah with Rebbetzin Tap. Why do we dip apples in honey? Why do we blow the shofar? Listen to the shofar sounds!
Congregation Shaara Tfille is fortunate to have a well-stocked Library, thanks to donations and gifts from congregants and friends. Our collection is diverse, including scholarly treatises and histories, biographies and books about Israel, both fiction and non-fiction books written by Jewish authors or about Jewish subjects, best-sellers, romance, mysteries and books for children of all ages.
Listings of currently available books by category appear below.
Books by Category
To view our books Just click on the category of your choice and a PDF file will open which you can view and then choose to download and print it if you wish. Check back frequently because we are in the processing of cataloging and rearranging the books in the Library.
Members may request books from the Library by going to our contact form and selecting Library from the Recipient list. Please be sure to include the book’s title and author.
STAY IN TOUCH
Congregation Shaara Tfille
The Jewish Community Center of Saratoga Springs
84 Weibel Avenue
New York 12866