About Our CongregationTraditional and Inclusive
In 1991, Congregation Shaara Tfille moved from 260 Broadway to its current home at 84 Weibel Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY, the first new synagogue ever to be built in Saratoga’s Jewish Community.
The most distinctive feature of our building is the huge window shaped as a Menorah, accentuating the natural setting of the Synagogue by bringing diffused light into the Sanctuary. The proximity of the building to the Cemetery enhances the sense of connection to the long-standing history of the Congregation.
The building was designed by
Harris and Daniel Sanders, Architects.
The General Contractor was Northeast Masonry, Inc.
The Synagogue was chartered in 1912, but congregants gathered to worship as far back as 1897, in a building on Broadway, in downtown Saratoga Springs. We are one of the oldest ongoing congregations in the Capital District. Since our inception, when we met in members’ homes, we have occupied numerous buildings in Saratoga Springs.
Our spacious and light-filled sanctuary is highlighted by a beautiful Menorah-shaped window that has become a symbol of Congregation Shaara Tfille. On the outside wall of our synagogue is an eight-foot bronze menorah, designed by Carol Korfin, the winner of a contest to create a decoration for the exterior of our synagogue when it was located at 260 Broadway in Saratoga Springs.
The menorah was restored and re-dedicated in 2015, at a ceremony attended by Dr. Robert and Doris Pletkin, who had originally donated the Menorah in memory of Doris’ mother, Sadie Brown. The restoration was made possible by a generous grant from The Alfred Z. Solomon Charitable Trust. The removal, refurbishment and reinstallation of the Menorah was the work of Fisher’s Fabrication and Metal Art in Hagaman, N.Y.
From our early Orthodox roots, we have evolved into an egalitarian, inclusive, Conservative congregation. We are dedicated to fulfilling the religious, educational and social needs of the Jewish community by promoting the tenets of contemporary Conservative Judaism while maintaining the values and traditions from our origins.
A symbol of our dedication to religious services and educational endeavors, our building offers a beautiful Sanctuary and several dedicated classrooms. Events of all kinds, including weddings, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, concerts, lectures and films, can be accommodated in our spacious Social Hall, with its stage, giant screen and a state-of-the-art sound system, donated by Mort Zelikofsky, of blessed memory.
Our Kosher kitchen easily produces meals for any occasion, from a banquet to a small Oneg. Members may borrow books from our expansive library. Located on our grounds is a well-maintained cemetery, with both Jewish and non-Jewish burial plots, for members.
The efforts that began in 1912 by a small group of families provided a solid foundation to enable us to serve the needs and interests of the Jewish community, locally, nationally and around the world. We support charitable and humanitarian efforts in Saratoga, the United States and Israel. Our goal is to provide a spiritual home for our members, to reach out to all Jews who wish to be part of a Conservative community, to engage in tzedakah and Tikkum Olam.
“Do not separate yourself from the community, Do not trust in yourself until the day of your death, Do not judge your fellow man until you have reached his place.”
– Hillel, Pirkei Avot 2:4
Our Leadership and Team
Gabbai / Director
Sisterhood President / Director
Religious: Allan Polacsek
Cemetery: Allen Kasin
Endowment: Robert Katzman
House and Grounds: Skip Woodcock
Sisterhood: Judith Ehrenshaft
Website: Deborah Sabin
Bingo: Michael Fischer
Facebook: Deborah Sabin
Scroll Editor: Michael Fischer
The Veteran’s Wall was created by congregant Susan Edwards after ten years of research, collection and compilation of information, photographs and memorabilia about members of the Congregation who had served in World War II. The Wall, which includes Susan’s father, a long-time congregant, Gerald Selig, has become the heart of the Social Hall and a fitting tribute to all our Jewish War Veterans from the Greatest Generation.
STAY IN TOUCH
Congregation Shaara Tfille
The Jewish Community Center of Saratoga Springs
84 Weibel Avenue
New York 12866